The COVID-19 health crisis is having major impacts on our economy and financial system. Policymakers have taken unprecedented action, using the finance sector to keep businesses afloat. Social distancing has turbo-boosted the shift to digital banking. A debt crisis looms. The scale of change is unprecedented. How can we make sense of this financial system change, and what we can do to help transform finance so that it supports a resilient, caring, just and green economy in the future?
Thinking from the Lab:
- Lab joins the coronavirus recovery campaign to Build Back Better
- Reasons for hope: the transformation of finance – blog by Jesse Griffiths, CEO
- Pandemics and the future of finance – webinar featuring Jesse Griffiths, CEO
- The Lab community responds to COVID-19 – blog by Naomi Alexander Naidoo, Community Manager
- Lab supports transnational call to action on building a resilient society
- Four reasons why transforming finance is more important than ever – blog by Jesse Griffiths, CEO
- Affordable credit providers (backed by the Lab) offer their support to deliver emergency funds
- Lab joins call for freeze on personal debt payments
- COVID-19: our response – blog by Anna Fielding, Strategic Advisor
- Lab signs open letter to the UK government calling for faster and more far-reaching action
Find out what the Lab community is thinking and doing:
- Our money, for a Just Recovery – 350.0rg
- Own the future – CLES
- The Road to Resilience: how community financial services can help level-up Britain – Asheem Singh, Mark Hall and Eleanor Toner, RSA
- Why the war on COVID must not become a war on cash – Brett Scott
- Call for government to consider stricter conditions on public assistance to big business – Positive Money
- Beyond Covid – Economic Change Unit
- Petition for the Robin Hood Tax to fund our NHS and build back better – Robin Hood Tax
- COVID-19: What impact on finance, the economy, people and the environment? – Finance Watch
- Who wins and who pays? Rentier power and the Covid crisis – Christine Berry and Laurie MacFarlane, IPPR
- The tragedy of growth – Positive Money
- The European Central Bank and Climate Change – New Economics Foundation
- Purposeful finance and the pandemic – David Pitt-Watson and Hari Mann, RSA
- Can cash survive coronavirus? – Mark Hall, RSA
- The great pause – Gemma Bone Dodds, All in Agency
- Build back better – Wellbeing Economy Alliance
Please get in touch with our community manager, Naomi Alexander Naidoo, if you have relevant articles to share: firstname.lastname@example.org. Sign up to our newsletter to receive regular updates on our work.
Transforming Finance Network History
The Transforming Finance Network brings together leading civil society organisations dedicated to changing the finance system into one that is democratic, responsible and fair.
Convened by the Finance Innovation Lab and Positive Money, it includes Finance Watch, New Economics Foundation, Share Action, Stamp Out Poverty, and many more.
We meet periodically to align our work, create new collaborations and find ways to amplify our common agenda. Since the Network’s inception in 2013 we have:
- Run two major conferences;
- Held workshops with senior policymakers in the Bank of England, FCA, major think tanks and in with Parliamentarians;
- Collaborated with thought leaders in finance reform such as Lord Adair Turner, Prof. Mariana Mazucatto, Prof. Robert Jenkins and Prof. Steve Keen;
- Published a Charter for a New Finance System and a set of policy recommendations for the 2015 General Election.