The Natural Capital Coalition is a global, multi stakeholder open source platform for supporting the development of methods for natural and social capital valuation in business.
It’s founding organisations and supporters include:
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
- H.R.H The Prince of Wales’ Accounting for Sustainability Project
- International Union for Conservation of Nature (ICUN)
- World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD)
- Economic Development Board of Singapore
- Conservation International
- The Global Reporting Initiative
- Global Initiatives
- IFC, a member of The World Bank Group
Funding is provided by The Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation and IFC, World Bank Group
The Coalition grew out of The Finance Innovation Lab process.
It was formed after a 2010 Finance Innovation Lab Assembly, where we helped form a sub group of participants who wanted to work on ’internalising externalities’.
The project grew from there with the backing of Pavan Sukhdev, who had begun a new role at the UN Environment Programme and wanted a place to explore what the business angle of his recent study The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity (TEEB), an international initiative to draw attention to the global economic benefits of biodiversity.